MMOG Market Report
Screen Digest has a new study covering the MMOG market in the west.
- "Market value for MMOGs in the West hit $1bn for the first time in 2006. Market growth has been helped by the introduction of more casual MMOG experiences and new business models.
- The North American subscription market was worth $576m, while Europe was worth $299m.
- By 2011 the MMOG subscription market will be worth over $1.5bn and Europe will enjoy the stronger growth between the two Western regions
- Over the five year period, Germany will remain the largest subscription market in Europe, followed by the UK.
- France will see the most significant value growth of over 16% CAGR over the term, whilst Spain and Italy will both experience subscription value CAGR of more than 15%.
- World of Warcraft is by far the most popular subscription game, accounting for 54% of the subscription market in 2006, generating revenue of $471m. Its next nearest competitor was Runescape from UK developer/publisher Jagex."