Monday, August 28, 2006

Life2Life: Amazon in Second Life

From the Amazon Web Services Blog:

"At Amazon we characterize the shopping experience using the terms find, discover, and buy. The Life2Life product supports all three of these elements. Let's look at each of them in turn.

Finding implies searching through the catalog. I'll step over to the search region and "speak" my search term. In Second Life this means that I use the "say" command, and I type "/1 say Harry Potter". The search results are displayed in an embedded QuickTime panel, so I had to click the Play button on the Movie control first. Here's what I see:

And there you have it. The virtual world reaches out and pulls in data from the real world, and the virtual world provides an efficient and compelling way to find, discover, and buy.

I hope that you've enjoyed this little photo tour! One thing I should point out is that Second Life is a real platform, just like Windows or Linux, with a scripting language and a very rich set of APIs and events. Perhaps you've got some ideas for Second Life applications of your own. Build something cool using our services and I'll be happy to pay you a visit and write another blog post."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home