Hierarchy of Needs 2.0
Bruno Giussani pulls some data points from a recent Morgan Stanley report:
- "North America accounted for 66% of all Internet users in 1995, for only 23% in 2005.
- South Korea is the most broadband-friendly country in the world: 70%+ penetration.
- At the end of September 2004 there were 193 million broadband subscribers globally (63 mm in Asia, 47 mm in North America).
- Annual ringtones sales (May 2005): 3 billion USD. Cumulative iTunes sales (Sept 2005): 559+ million USD.
- Annual engineering graduates 2004: USA: 76'000; India: 184'000; China: 352'000; Rest of the world: 1'007'000.
- In 2004, cell phone users sent 1.1 trillion SMS messages, generating 50 billion USD in revenues for the operators.