Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Where are the Nokia phones?

In another installment of "struggles with my MOT E815," last night I was doing some critical calling for a time sensitive project. I opened my E815 to make another call and saw that it was in silent mode and that I had missed a very important call. I swear I didn't select silent mode.

I had a Nokia phone for around 8 years and maybe I am too old or too stupid to learn another Phone OS but I get the Nokia system. Given that, I decided to bail, at whatever cost, on my new phone and get a Nokia.

My current provider, Verizon, doesn't offer a Nokia phone. Sprint offers one low end model and Cingular offers a refurbished Nokia in it's prepaid plan. What gives?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daniel,

The Nokias are coming! While Nokia hasn't been doing much lately with the CDMA space their phones will work just fine on the Cingular network. The problem of course is that Cingular doesn't want to subsidize the really amazing phones from Nokia. That doesn't mean, however, that you have to suffer with a phone that doesn't do everything you want.

Buy one already unlocked and put your Cingular SIM in it, or buy a locked phone and have it professionally unlocked or even learn to unlock phones youself with Michael Yuan's Nokia Smaretphone Hacks, the ultimate companion to any Nokia phone with Symbian's 40, 60 or 80 series OS.

By the way, some of the phones listed below have Wi-Fi, which I agree, as you stated in your comment HERE
on my Mobile Weblog is ultimately going to be
the most disruptive new development for mobile phones where content is concerned.

Nokia N70
Nokia N80
Nokia N91

November 16, 2005  
Blogger daniel davenport said...

Hey Oliver,

Thanks so much for the information and for stopping by! I read your blog everyday and really enjoy your persepctive on the industry.

I am going to try and figure out a way to get out of this E815. I will look into the ones you suggest.

Daniel

November 17, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home